In this two-part webinar series, attendees heard from clinicians about the clinical consequences of addiction to opioids. SOAR providers described their communities’ responses to the opioid crisis by providing supportive services such as Housing First and Medication Assisted Treatment (MAT). Experts at SAMHSA and SSA provided an overview of federal policies and new resources which relate to individuals with addiction and/or individuals who may be taking opioids and other drugs, such as medical marijuana as prescribed by their clinician.
Participants came away with a better understanding of how SSA evaluates drug usage and its implication for the SOAR applicant who uses opioids and marijuana.
Part I: Wednesday, October 18, 3:00-4:30 p.m. ET
- Dr. Tyler Gray, M.D., Medical Director, Healthcare for the Homeless, West Baltimore, MD
- Jacqueline S. Long, Director of Housing and Grants, Mountain Comprehensive Care Center, Prestonsburg, KY
- Steven K. Samra ,MPA, Deputy Director, SAMHSA BRSS TACS, Needham, MA
Part I Materials:
- PowerPoint Slides (PPTX)
- Webinar Recording
- Handouts from Steven Samra
Part II: Wednesday, October 25, 3:00-4:30 p.m. ET
- Dr. Andrew Mendenhall, M.D., Medical Director of SUDS Services, Central City Concern, Portland, OR
- Denise Keesee, BEST Case Manager, Central City Concern, Portland, OR
- Michael J. Goldstein, Social Security Administration, Office of Disability Policy – ORDP, Office of Medical Policy