As of April 1, 2017, SSI is available as part of SSA’s online disability application (iClaim).
1. Applicants who meet certain criteria will be able to apply for SSI via the iClaim. The iSSI application will be a limited deferred disability application that consists of questions that are common to both the SSDI application (SSA-16) and the SSI deferred application (SSA-8001). For this release, iSSI will only be available for claimants who meet the following criteria:
- Are between the ages of 18 and 65;
- Have never been married;
- Aren’t blind;
- Are a U.S. citizen residing in one of the fifty states, District of Columbia, or the Northern Mariana Islands;
- Haven’t applied for or received disability or SSI benefits in the past; and
- Are applying for Social Security Disability Insurance at the same time as their SSI claim.
SSA plans to expand the population who can file for SSI online in future updates. Claimants who do not meet these criteria will still be able to express an intent to file for SSI; however, they will not be able to file for SSI online.
2. Applicants will no longer be able to initiate an online disability application using the Spanish iClaim. All iClaim applicants will enter through the English application and will have a choice of selecting the language they prefer. Those who prefer to communicate in a language other than English will be given the choice of:
- Scheduling an application interview in their preferred language using iAppointment;
- Continuing their application in English; or
- Contacting SSA directly by calling 1-800-772-1213.
3. Applicants who do not meet the criteria to complete the iSSI application will be directed to schedule a telephone or in-person appointment at SSA using iAppointment.
- If iAppointment is not available for the applicant, a message will appear that directs the applicant to contact SSA.
- Note that applicants who are banned from entering a Social Security Office for any reason will not receive the iAppointment option.
We will share additional information as it become available. Stay tuned!