Description of Project
- In-depth, provides step-by-step details of SSA’s disability determination process and SSI/SSDI application forms;
- Learn at your own pace;
- Templates for materials needed to set up administering the SOAR service
- Opportunity to do a practice case with technical assistance and feedback from the SOAR TA Center
Expectations of Participation in SOAR
- Serve as appointed representative for the purpose of applying for SSI/SSDI. Representation includes “standing in” for the applicant, responding to questions, receiving copies of all mail sent to the applicant, and communicating back and forth with SSA and DDS.
- Complete the applications for both SSI and SSDI.
- Collect medical records from providers who have treated the applicant over the last two years.
- Write a comprehensive SOAR Medical Summary Report that includes psychosocial, treatment, and functional information that is co-signed, if at all possible, by a physician or psychologist who has seen the individual.
- Conduct ongoing outreach and engagement with the individual to stay connected throughout the process and to work with the individual to obtain other needed services and treatment such as housing, physical and mental health care, other support services, food, and clothing.
- Use the online application tracking system, (OAT) to: track applications and outcomes, including number of applications completed, approvals/denials, and time to decision from application submission to receipt of SSA’s decision.
- Report outcomes on at least an annual basis within the stated timeframes as requested.
- No fees will be collected for completion of the application.
- Actively collaborate with local SOAR Leads.
- Participate in refresher courses and quality reviews of applications. SOAR caseworkers are encouraged to send redacted versions of their first few Medical Summary Reports to the SOAR TA Center for quality review before submission to DDS.
There is also a host of information on this website for use in your SOAR case management, including means to request information and technical support, links to SOAR webinars and SOAR updates. Check it out by clicking on the Library or Application Toolbox tabs on the SOAR website.