Welcome to SOAR in Utah!!!
The SOAR effort in Utah is a statewide initiative to improve SOAR collaboration, coordination, consistency and connection across the state of Utah, increasing access to the disability income benefit programs administered by the Social Security Administration (SSA) for eligible adults who are homeless or at risk of homelessness and have a mental illness and/or a co-occurring substance use disorder in Utah.
Utah's overarching SOAR goals, objectives and strategies include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Increase the number of successful SSI/SSDI applications at the initial application level and decrease waiting times for client SSI/SSDI approvals
- Increase the number of SOAR trained and certified case managers committed to providing intensive up-front case management assistance using the SOAR model
- Identify specific SOAR needs and provide technical support to new & incumbent SOAR-trained staff and trainers
- Work closely with local/regional planning teams to ensure quality and consistency among all SOAR providers statewide
- Explore various strategies for ongoing funding sustainability and growth
- Educate stakeholders across the state and create buy-in for the program's implementation within their respective communities, agencies and staff
- Build upon the foundation of supportive relations with the Social Security Administration (SSA) and Disability Determination Services (DDS)
- Serve as a leader in high-level quality and quantity of completed SOAR applications and approvals nationwide
- Collect and report outcomes and sharing of SOAR data across the state of Utah
Individuals interested in becoming SOAR trained and certified must first successfully complete the online SOAR training and subsequently attend a 6-hour face-to-face refresher course.
Upon completion, SOAR case managers/representatives must commit to the following:
- Honor the requirement of submitting/assisting with a minimum of four SOAR claims per year using the full SOAR model.
- Track outcomes of applications (# of applications submitted, decisions, time periods, etc.) for all adults served under this initiative.
SOAR Online Training:
Replacing the 2-day face-to-face training used in the past, SOAR now has an online “at your own pace” course. It can be accessed by clicking on the "Online Course" tab on this website. Before getting started, we ask that you and your agency’s supervisor sign the SOAR Registration form, committing to SOAR case management within your scope of work and completing/assisting with a minimum of 4 SOAR cases per year! The form can be accessed here: http://soarworks.prainc.com/sites/soarworks.prainc.com/files/UT_SOAR_Onl...
Upon successful completion of the SOAR online course, each trainee receives:
- Direct feedback of the mock claim submitted during the training
- SOAR certification
- Receipt of an optional 16 CEU credits
- 6-hour “SOAR Fundamentals” refresher training, completed face-to-face by a Utah SOAR lead
Average time to complete the course is 20 hours total. We encourage staff to have completed the entire training within four weeks and for supervisors to follow up with staff progress on a weekly basis.
There is also a host of information on this website for use in your SOAR case management, including means to request information and technical support, links to SOAR webinars and SOAR updates!!! Check it out by clicking on the Library or Application Toolbox tabs.
We are excited to welcome you as part of SOAR in Utah!