SSI/SSDI Outreach, Access, and Recovery (SOAR) is funded by the Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration (SAMHSA) and is a national program designed to increase access to the disability income benefit programs administered by the Social Security Administration (SSA) for eligible adults who are experiencing or at risk of homelessness and have a serious mental illness, medical impairment, and/or a co-occurring substance use disorder. 
The goals of the SOAR program speak directly to one of SAMHSA’s Strategic Initiatives - Recovery Supports. SOAR seeks to end homelessness through increased access to SSI/SSDI income supports, directly addressing SAMHSA’s assertion: “To recover, people need a safe stable place to live.” This is essential, and for many persons in recovery accessing benefits is a first step.  But SOAR extends beyond and also encourages employment as a means to increase individual income and promote recovery in line with the SAMHSA assertion that: “to recover, people need meaningful work and the ability to enhance their skills through education.”

Recent Questions About SOAR

Q: Would someone who has life insurace policies with a cash value totaling $3,700 still be eligible for SSI?
SSA considers any life insurance policy with a face value of $1,500 or higher. The face value is how much insurance you're buying, (e.g., $5,000, $10,000, etc.). The cash value is what you'd get for the policy if you cashed it in. Since this person’s policies are valued at $3,700, s/he is over the...
Q: What is 1619(b) Status and how is it determined?
1619(b) is continued Medicaid coverage for those individuals that were receiving SSI benefits prior to returning to work. You can find more information on SSA's website here: http://www.socialsecurity.gov/disabilityresearch/wi/1619b.htm
Q: I was told there was a list of questions that was good to use during a law judge hearing. I can't find them. Does this list exist?
"Questions for Direct Examination at SSA Administrative Law Judge (ALJ) Hearing" can be accessed at https://soarworks.prainc.com/article/soar-webinar-hearing-tips-soar-practitioners , along with other documents presented on the webinar "Hearing Tips for SOAR Practitioners."
Q: How can someone receive SSDI (Title II) benefits if they have never worked?
If an individual becomes disabled before the age of 22 and one of his/her parents is either deceased or receives disability or retirement benefits, the "Disabled Adult Child" may receive benefits based on their parent's earnings record. SSA has an easy to use FAQ page about this topic: http://www...