SOAR Online Course: Child Curriculum
About the SOAR Child Curriculum
The SOAR Online Course: Child Curriculum trains case managers to assist children and youth who are experiencing or at risk of homelessness and have a serious mental illness, medical impairment, and/or a co-occurring substance use disorder to apply for the Social Security Administration’s (SSA) disability program: Supplemental Security Income (SSI). The techniques taught in this course can improve the quality and completeness of any application for SSI. Individuals who complete the course are encouraged to use what they learn to improve SSI applications for themselves or others.
However, those who enroll in this course agree that the label “SOAR” will only be used on SSI applications for children and youth who are experiencing or at risk of homelessness.
What is the format?
The SOAR Online Course: Child Curriculum is self-paced and you can begin at any time! The course features:
- Seven comprehensive classes, each of which has a series of articles, videos, and short quizzes
- An opportunity to apply knowledge by completing an SSI application for a fictional applicant using information gathered via video interviews, medical records, and progress notes provided throughout the course
- Individualized feedback on your Practice Case Application packet from experts at the SAMHSA SOAR TA Center
How long does it take to complete the course?
We estimate that it will take about 20 hours to complete the entire course. You can work at your own pace; starting and stopping as you wish. However, we encourage you to complete the course within 30 days if you are able. This will help you retain the information you have already learned and get you connected sooner to your local SOAR initiatives.
How much does the SOAR Online Course: Child Curriculum cost?
It is FREE! There is no charge for this course.
What if I won’t be assisting with SSI applications and just want to know more about SOAR?
We recommend enrolling in and completing Class 1 of the SOAR Online Course, as it provides a broad overview of the SOAR model, which we call “SOAR 101.” This information can be helpful for supervisors and administrators, and there is no obligation to complete the entire course after enrolling.
What if I have questions as I work through the course? Is there support available?
Definitely! Even though the course is self-paced, you are never on your own! Use our State Directory to connect with your local and state SOAR Leaders and reach out to your SAMHSA SOAR TA Center Liaison. We are always available and excited to answer your questions about SOAR. If your questions are related to technical difficulties in the course, you can email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 518-439-7415 x2
Does the course require special technology?
- This curriculum is optimized to run on Internet Explorer 9 or above, Chrome, Firefox or Safari, and course videos are embedded in the website or may be viewed using YouTube.
- The SSA forms for the practice case are fillable pdf files that you will complete, save to your computer, and then upload to your online Practice Case Application Packet. To do so, you will need the latest version of Adobe Acrobat Reader. You can download it free of charge here: http://www.adobe.com/products/reader.html. You may need to ask your IT administrator for assistance.
- You can also fax or scan/email the forms to the SOAR TA Center if you encounter technical difficulties.
Ready to get started? Click below to enroll!